Kibabii University hosted the inaugural Sports Symposium that brought together the best minds and experts in the world of sports in the country on 11th-12th May 2023 at the University’s Sports Gymnasium. Notable speakers and panelists who graced the occasion included;
- Prof. Edwin Kadima Wamukoya, Professor of Exercise and Sports Science, Department of Health Promotion & Sports Science; Masinde Muliro University of Science and Technology (MMUST)
- Prof. Vincent Onywera, Professor of Exercise and Sports Science and Deputy Vice-Chancellor Research, Innovation & Outreach. KCA University.
- Dr. Simon Munayi, President of Federation of Eastern Africa University Sports (FEAUS) and Chairman Department of Physical Education & Sports. University of Nairobi (UON)
- Mr. Francis Mutuku, Secretary General National Olympic Committee of Kenya. (NOCK)
- Major (rtd) Suleiman Sumba, President, Kenya Taekwondo Federation (KTF)
- Dr. Issac Kweyu, Department of Health Promotion & Sports Science (MMUST)
- Mr. John Okwemba, Director Sports Research Innovation & Knowledge. Kenya Academy of Sports (KAS)
- Mr. Martin Yauma, Head of Education and Research. Anti-Doping Agency of Kenya.
- Dr. Benson Wagathoni, Sports Tutor; Dedan Kimathi University of Science & Technology (DEKuT)
- Mr. Gaetano Kalenda, Department of Physical Education & Sports Science; St. Pauls Kibabii Diploma Teachers College.
The two day symposium was officially opened by the Ag. Vice Chancellor Prof. Dr.-Ing. Benedict Mutua and brought together key stakeholders in sports within and outside the country to brainstorm on the theme “Towards Appreciating Physical Education and Sports Science in the Implementation of the Competence Based Curriculum”. In his opening remarks the Ag.DVC urged the participants to participate in the demystification of the concept of physical education. Physical education and sports is an important aspect of any curriculum. He informed the participants that technology and innovation is being incorporated in physical education and sports science, making it a key area for the growth of societies.
Accompanying the Ag.VC were DVC Administration, Finance & Development (AFD) Prof. Donald Siamba, Ag. DVC Academics & Students Affairs (ASA) Prof. Julius Maiyo, Coordinator Kibabii University Center for Creative Performing Arts & Sports Dr. Edwin Masibo, Dean Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences Dr. Ben Nyongesa, Dean Faculty of Science Dr. Lucy Chikamai among others.
Prof. Wamukoya in his presentation informed the audience of the big role sports science has in the achievement of Sustainable Development Goals. Prof. Onywera on his part implored on the different stakeholders including institutions of higher learning to invest in sports management as it is a key pillar in economic development of societies. He challenged schools not to use the time for physical education (P.E) for other things. Dr. Munayi reminded the participant that sports is a tool for talent identification and nurturing. He urged institutions to invest in identifying this talent and invest in their growth.
The Vice-Chancellor Prof. Ipara Odeo while closing the two day symposium thanked all presenters, panelists and participants for making the event a success. He thanked the Center for Creative Performing Arts & Sports for organizing such a noble event. He also thanked the various sports institutions for standing with Kibabii University in the growth of sports over the years and agreeing to grace the symposium. Art and Sports is the only best arrangement that addresses the social and emotional wellbeing of learners. We must be ready and embrace Competence Based Curriculum. The VC assured the participants that the institution is going to implement the ideas that were conceived during these sessions.