Message from Security Officer
Kibabii University was established on 9th September, 2011 by legal notice No. 115 under Masinde Muliro University of science and technology (MMUST). Security department owes its inception to a humble beginning in January 2012 when a few personnel of contracted security firm were deployed on the ground to provide security services and a MMUST staff from security department (Aggrey Shamwama) seconded to oversee their functioning prior to establishment of other functional units in the university college. Due to increase in student and staff population, management strengthened the section by hiring more security personnel and currently the section is headed by Mr. Zablon Mamai.
The Security Department is divided into Operations and investigations.
1. The operations
Section is responsible for control and co-ordination of Security Operations at the University in liaison with Private Security Company, booking of incidences, and supervision of the contracted company.
Section is responsible to:
- Conduct investigations and build cases arising from various scenes to ensure that cases are resolved in good time;
- Collect and present exhibits, investigation reports and witnesses in various cases to assist in resolving such cases;
- Liaise with state security agencies on security issues that need referral to be resolved;
- Attend disciplinary and other relevant committees to offer necessary advice on security issues;
- Provide input in preparation of the departmental budget to facilitate the department’s operations;
- Prevent crime through analysis of crime data and recommend counter-measures to prevent crime; and
- Conduct security work assessments in the university to establish security status in the university.
Safety and security
At Kibabii University Safety and Security is a shared responsibility. Clearly, the best protection against campus crime is being informed, alert, use reason, and caution a strong law-enforcement presence.
It is important that all members of the University community know the role they would play in the event of an emergency. In case of an emergency, it is important to remain calm, be flexible, do not take unnecessary chances, and wear or carry your University ID badge so you can be easily identified.
Kibabii University maintains an active partnership with Bungoma Fire Department in order to ensure compliance to safety. The Department also organizes fire and emergency services trainings for the entire Kibabii community.
The University has engaged the National police service from Tuuti Police Post who are committed to conducting their work in a respectful and dignified manner while providing a safe environment for those who live, learn, and work in our community. Officers frequently participate in meetings with neighborhood and community organizations, in addition to groups affiliated with the University such as community policing.
This professionally trained, police department operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Private Security Firms
Kibabii University contracts with Private security firms to provide comprehensive guard services and alarm back services.
Close circuit Television
The Institution has recently installed CCTV which is monitored primarily for surveillance and security purposes.