Message from Ag. Hostels Officer
The Hostel Department operates under Kibabii University–ISO 9001-2008 Based Quality Management System which states that Kibabiii University is committed to providing quality teaching, research and extension services to students
Kibabii University offers students the convenience of living on campus, forming life changing relationships with student, faculty and staff and be exposed to a variety of activities and leadership opportunities! Located in the heart of the campus, Kibabii hostels is a home to 1500 +students.The Hostel Department offers a variety of amenities that will aid the students in their academic endeavors. Our Residence Halls are equipped with, study tables, wardrobes, smoke sensors and laundry rooms.
Our staff is committed to providing the safest living environment as well as offering a variety of programs that will help students get exposed to social and academic pursuits.
Residence Representative is the student governing body for Housing. This student run organization is committed to advocating for policies and procedures that cater to the needs of all residence as well as coordinating community wide programming that help students become involved within housing.
First Year Students
First year college life can be challenging and rewarding. To help first year students’ transition well, there are additional policies and procedures set in place to help. First year students are given a priority for accommodation
Meal plans are offered by the Catering Department located few steps of the Residence Hall building.
And create value to our stakeholders through:
- Constituently providing efficient and reliable services to ensure that all segments of our society enjoys their basic rights to education as envisaged by the relevant United Nations protocols, statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Providing an environment that fosters excellence, safety, motivation, collegiality, teamwork, enthusiasm and empathy among employees.
Hostels department is under students’ affairs. It assigns rooms giving priority to 1st year students, those with special needs and the rest on first come first serve basis. Privately sponsored students are only considered for special cases or when there is availability of space.
We have four hostels on the campus two for ladies and two for male students. Each hostel has 96 rooms and each room accommodates 4 students. We therefore have a total maximum capacity of 1536 bed spaces.
This department has a total of 10 members of staff. This includes a senior housekeeper who is also the acting hostels officer in charge of the department, 3 housekeepers and 6 janitors. This department operates on a 24 hours basis with janitors taking over duties at night. We also oversee the cleanliness of the hostels with the contracted cleaning firm doing actual cleaning of all our hostels. We also undertake any maintenance issue within the halls of residence in liaison with estates department.
Students order and discipline while residing in the hostels is of a major concern on our part. Each student is given a copy of rules and regulations governing their stay in the halls of residence which they are supposed to follow. Breaking of this rules leads to some penalties including evictions from the halls of residence.
Persons with Disabilities
The department has given considerable attention to persons with disabilities i.e.
- Rooms are reserved on ground floor near the ablutions and entrances for physically challenged for easy access.
- Two Special toilets and bathrooms in every hostel are provide
- Rams are provided in both entrances of the hostel for those on wheelchairs
All students shall conduct themselves with responsibility and maturity while in residence at the University College and in particular shall strictly observe the following;
- Share rooms in addition to other facilities of common use. However, it shall be an offence to ‘pirate’ in th
- University Hostels
- Admit visitors/students to their rooms only between the hours of 10.00a.m. and 10.00 p.m. and in so doing shall pay due consideration and regard to the conveniences of their roommates
- Not remove or damage any facility or equipment in their rooms or any other part of the halls
- Not cook or sell food in the hostels
- Not conduct business or trade in the halls
- Not cohabit while in the University College halls of residence
- Not enter/remain in opposite sex halls of residence/rooms between 10.00 p.m. and 10.00 a.m.
- Not keep animals
NOTE: Register with the Dean of Students if they are non-residents
Clearance from Halls of Residence
Each student shall be required to surrender room keys at the end of the semester promptly if and when required They have to clear with the respective Housekeepers.
All students shall leave the University College premises at the end of every academic session. Permission for vocational residence shall only be granted by the Dean of Students on the advice from the Dean of Faculty that residence shall be required for the purpose of carrying out an academic assignment or for other reasons approved by the Dean of Students.
Vocational residence shall be in a specified hall and paid for in advance at least two weeks before the start of the vacation.
Department News and Events
In August 2019 the ministry of Education and the Inspectorate of State Corporations negotiated and vetted Kibabii University’s performance contract for the financial year 2019/2020. The contract was cascaded and
Kibabii University attained ISO 9001:2015 certification in November, 2019 after a successful certification audit conducted by SGS Kenya Ltd. Surveillance audits are conducted to ensure the University quality management system
2019/2020 first year students during Hostel department orientation forum led by Mrs. Margret Waithaka, Hostels Officer, Kibabii University. Students were introduced to hostel staff, functions, services and procedures. Emphasis was give
Kibabii University Vice Chancellor Professor Ipara Odeo, Milicon’s Limited Project Manager QS Mary Gichuki with user department inspecting the ongoing women hostel project in the University on 7th June, 2019. Various