Welcome to Kibabii University. This University came into life upon award of Charter by His Excellency Hon. Uhuru Kenyatta C.G.H., the President of the Republic of Kenya and Commander in Chief of the Defence Forces, on 14th November, 2016 from the former Kibabii University College “A Constituent College of Masinde Muliro University of Science and Technology”. The University is located in Bungoma County at a distance of 420km North West of the Capital City of Kenya, Nairobi.
The University has two (2) Faculties; Faculty of Education and Social Sciences and Faculty Science and three (3) Schools; School of Computing and Informatics, School of Business and Economic and School of Graduate Studies. Currently the student population stands at 5200. There are eighteen (18) undergraduate, seventeen (17) Masters and nine (9) PhD programmmes.
Our philosophy is to have a University that embodies the view that Science, Technology and Innovation are critical for sustainable utilization of material and human resources for the posterity of the universe. We recognize that if the people of Kenya and especially the youth and women are empowered in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics, then nothings will stop our products in contributing significantly to the development of Kenya.
The programmes are hitched on the following centers of Excellency;-
- Pedagogy:– Kibabii University is currently developing programmes with an aim of increasing our reach through open distance and electronic learning. We envisage a future whereby a greater percentage of our students will be off campus.
- Energy Center:– Our engineering programmes are geared to solve problems of inadequate energy in the country in two main ways:-
- Development of Green Energy (Renewable energy); to minimize on environmental pollution and climate change. Our position is to take advantage of exploiting kitchen and domestic organic stuff, sugarcane by-products and alcohol and Biogas and other plant products, sewage bio products, solar and wind power to produce energy.
- We are in a county that is close to Turkana where oil was discovered, therefore we intend to exploit that.
- Artisanry: We have started programmes that build capacity at Technical and Vocational as well as Degree levels in Building and Construction, Plumbing, Carpentry, Electrical, Computer and Agricultural Technology.
- Agro Processing: – Bungoma County’s’ economy is mainly agricultural based and engaged in sugarcane, maize, cassava and potato production. Farmers and agro-processors sell their products in a raw form and therefore earn very little. Our University is has programs that teach farmers in processing, value addition, diversification and marketing and this will enable the products to earn more.
- Health: – The University intents to specialize in health issues to tackle, HIV, Malaria, wellness and wellbeing and care of the aged.
- Business Hub: – The University is geared towards building capacity in business and entrepreneurship to empower women and the youth of Kenya.
- Computing & Informatics: – We are blessed to have the best teaching faculty in the county in ICT. We intent to use ICT as a cross-cutting instrument in handling the social and economic challenges facing Kenya today.
- Kiswahili and Other African Languages: – One natural gift from God is that, we continue to use Kiswahili as a medium for business. Kibabii University boasts of leadership in this country in this subject.
We therefore believe that this is the right institution to be in and the reasons to come to Kibabii University.
- To establish annual monitoring of the implementation of Academic, Research & Extension Programmes
- To maintain strict timely implementation of exam processing as per senate approval calendar dates
- To establish submission of research proposals to at least two proposals for grant, awards within a year
- To establish marketing strategies, public relations, development and outreach services to at least two industrial linkages with a year
- To improve effective student governance and leadership from the current twice a year to quarterly meetings