Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Administration, Finance and Development), the Finance Officer shall on the overall be responsible for the supervision and management of all administrative and operational functions of the Office of the Finance Officer.
The Finance Officer shall:
- Be a member of the University Senate and Management Board.
- Ensure the development of financial policies to ensure a standardized system of operations in the management of the University’s finances;
- Prepare Budget to ensure efficient and effective utilization of the University’s resources and submit it to the parent ministry and the National Treasury within the statutory deadlines;
- Prepare financial statements to ensure compliance with the Constitution of Kenya, 2010, PFM Act, 2012, International Public Sectors Accounting Standards and Public Audit Act, 2003 for submission to the auditor General before the statutory deadlines;
- Prepare the quarterly reports and financial statements for submission on or before the statutory deadline in line with the PFM Act, 2012;
- Update the Council regarding changes in legislation or regulations that may affect the University’s business operations;
- Ensure maintenance of the University assets register on both movable and immovable assets;
- Set up Internal controls to ensure minimization of errors, and frauds in the institution’s financial operations;
- Ensure adherence to financial regulations, policies, legislations, and applicable Accounting & ISO Standards;
- Liaise with external and internal auditors on the audit of Institution’s books of accounts and maintenance of good working relationships;
- Implement authorized and approved payments to facilitate activities of the University;
- Supervision of finance Department staff to ensure assignments are carried out efficiently and effectively in order to maintain the set standards;
- Coach and mentor staff through assignment and guiding in execution of the activities to ensure high standards are met to satisfy interests of customers;
- Liaise with Government Agencies and other institutions on financial matters to ensure timely disbursement of resources;
- Ensure participation of Finance Department staff in continual education programs and career advancement;
- Evaluate staff in the Finance Department to ensure adherence to the performance targets; and
- Perform any such other duties as may be assigned or delegated Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Administration, Finance and Development).
- Be a member of Senate and University Management Board
- Have shown merit and ability as reflected in work performance and results (for serving officers).
- Clearance from Kenya Revenue Authority
- Clearance from Higher Education Loans Board
- Clearance from the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission
- Clearance from Credit Reference Bureau
- Criminal Investigation Department- (Certificate of Good Conduct)
- Letters of recommendation from at least three persons familiar with the applicant’s professional experience and character in general should also be sent to the address below before Tuesday, 31th October, 2017 .
- Ten (10) hard copies
- An electronic copy in PDF format by email be sent to the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Requirements for Appointment
The Finance Officer shall be a Ph.D holder in relevant area. In addition, shall have a CPA (K) or ACCA or CA, be member of Institute of Certified Accountant and work experience of at least six (6) years of which at least three (3) years as a Deputy Finance Officer Scale 14 or its equivalent;
Shall be a holder of a Master’s Degree in the relevant area. In addition, shall have a CPA (K) or ACCA or CA, be member of Institute of Certified Accountant and work experience of at least ten (10) years of which at least five (5) years as a Deputy Finance Officer Scale 14 or its equivalent. Option 3(ii) will be applicable under special circumstances that shall be approved by the Council.
Terms of Service
Shall hold office on a contract period of five (5) years but may be eligible for reappointment for a further one term in accordance with terms and conditions of service as approved by the Council from time to time.
How to apply:
Each application shall be accompanied by detailed Curriculum Vitae, Copies of Relevant Academic and Professional Certificates, National Identity Card or Passport, Testimonials, and other relevant supporting documents. Scanned copies of these documents must be attached to the email application.
For positions of Registrars, Finance Officer, Dean of Students, University Librarian, applicants must also submit the following:
All applications should clearly be marked with the Reference Number of the Advertised position “Application for the position of (position applied for)”and submitted as follows:
Applications must be submitted on or before Tuesday, 31th October, 2017 . Applications should be addressed as registered mail to:
The Vice Chancellor,
P.O. BOX 1699 – 50200
The Vice Chancellor
and Dropped at
Kibabii University-Main Campus,
Administration Block, Third Floor, Room ABA 308,
Note: Kibabii University is an equal opportunity employer. Women, marginalized and persons living with disability are encouraged to apply.