Mr. Ronald Songoro
The department was established in the year 2012 when Kibabii University then a constituent college of Masinde Muliro University of Science and Technology was established. From one staff at inception, the department has since grown to a staff of three. Although the department has not attained its full establishment, I am confident that my prayer for more staff will be answered in due course.
We have designed our work so as to add value and improve the University’s internal control systems, Risk management and governance processes. The main functions of the department are assurance (through risk based audits) and consulting services (through factual advisory).
To ensure adherence to the requirements of the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA), and the doctrines of best practice, the Head and staff of internal audit are guided by:
- The international professional practices standards.
- Definition of internal auditing
- Code of ethics: Integrity, Objectivity, Confidentiality and Competency.
- Internal Audit Activity Charter
- Annual risk based audit plan to guide the risk based audits.
The department is in the process of formulating the following documents to ensure smooth achievement of its mandate:
- Internal audit manual-2016
- Internal audit strategic plan (2016-2020)
Last but not least, to ensure quality in our audit work, the internal auditor underwent a 4 days training on internal audit quality assessment organized by IIA. The department has now institutionalized continuous internal audit quality assessment and is set to undergo external assessments in every 5 years.
Lastly, I want to appeal to the entire Kibabii University family (our clients) to partner with the department in ensuring that the University achieves its objectives. Feel free to consult with us as we strive to add value to operations of KIBU.
- To increase execution of the annual audit plan from 60% toat least 75% by the close of the Financial Year 2015/16.
- To maintain quarterly reporting to the Principal and Audit, Risk and Compliance Committee of Council on the risk based audits.
- To maintain quarterly reporting to the Principal and Audit, Risk and Compliance Committee of Councilon implementation of agreed upon audit recommendations.